Monday, April 25, 2011

Progress At Last

The Easter long weekend has been kind to my hexie flower making efforts so have something to show for month 1 of this project. My goal is 12 flowers a month so I will take just on a year to complete, fingers crossed!

I decided to try the glue method but living in the Northern suburbs of Perth city a quilting shop is at least 30kms away so tried the chain gangs of Spotlight & Textile Traders with no success. So decided why not call in the big guns & use a bottle of fabric glue, not as easy but so far so good though a lot messier & sticky on the fingers.

I love my AFL footy which is great for productivity now so this was the result of the Thursday night Footy Show viewing followed by the movie Inception. Lots of gluey hexies waiting to dry properly.


After watching a couple of movies last night, here's my first 12 flowers finished.


This is my first random stash quilt so the thought of putting all these different colours & values together is freaking me out a bit. So, when in doubt, procrastinate! I'll make up the blocks later & decided I need to do a lot more less bold choices to mellow things out a bit.

While watching the ANZAC footy match today I cut out another 13 flowers & in 2 hours when the Dockers Vs Doggies game starts I get back to glueing again.

Happy stitching (& glueing!)
Tracee xx

11 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I think you could use a glue sitck, like UHU (little yellow one), from the newsagent or supermarket. Office works have them too.

Jacqueline said...

I like your flowers there very nice. I like the colours blue and pink. I am using glue that Sarah`s Prim Treasures she is in the hexagon club. She has a online shop the glues is called Sewline it makes the job easyer.

Kerry said...

Love your little hexie flowers. Just be aware that the liquid glue dries hard and may be more difficult to remove the papers. I've used uhu type glue sticks before on larger shapes with success.
Good luck. Looking forward to following the journey on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracee. Lots of my quilt got stitched while The Footy Show was on too! Don't use any glue except the Sewline one Jacqueline mentioned. You will have a heck of a time later on otherwise when it comes to removing the papers Speaking from experience!). If you dont want to use that glue then you can hand tack, but that is pretty tedious. Try Sarah's Prim Treasures as Jacqueline said

Quilt Kitty said...

Thanks all for your words of experience. I have a book coming from Sarah so will have to add to the order. Tracee xx

Maria said...

You have still made lots of lovely hexies even with the messy glue. LOL

Sue said...

These are lovely, well everyones rae, I haven't started mine yet!
I'm in Canada, do you know where I can get the magazine from please?

rosie said...

I love your colors...Wait til you get the real glue stick, you will be hooked! Take care.

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

You have made some lovely flowers and so quickly you are :-).

Sarah said...

Those glueline pens are awesome! SO much better than the others! Your going great guns!

Sarah said...

Those glueline pens are awesome! SO much better than the others! Your going great guns!

Hexagon Button. Grab our button: