Friday, April 15, 2011

My Hexagon Story

A couple of years ago a friend showed me some work she was doing with 2 1/2 inch hexagons and reproductions. I fell in love with the idea of hand stitching a quilt. It was not going to be finished tomorrow, it was something that would be there as long as I wanted it to be. When I got home I had a look at my stash and just couldn't decide which fat 1/4's to cut into. So after a very restless sleep I woke realizing that this just had to be a scrap quilt. ( I seem to solve a lot of my quilting "issues" overnight when I should be sleeping). And so it began. My theme for my quilt is - the fabric must be a scrap from a project I have made over the years. The colors I have used for gifts and myself are so diverse, it will be interesting to see how it will come together. The best part of this idea was that I used up all those bits of bindings as they are the exactly the right size. 
 After seeing Leanne's version with the little stitchery, Yippee....

These are some of my flowers. I have been playing with the effect of stripes but I am limited with them being scraps - the fun of the challenge.

Fabrics cut and stored ready for papers.

I use this little project bag to take my hexagons to any place of waiting - train station, school pick ups, Dr's etc. If I have to wait I might as well see something for my time. I have also found stitching with silk thread an absolute dream. I found the 100% cotton seemed to tangle. 
I now find myself putting aside little bits for my hexagons whenever I cut a new project, and just quietly I probably buy a little more so I have more leftover. After all this quilt is supposed to have a hexagon representing each project I have sewn.  I am looking forward to Vignette Issue 3 to see how Leanne Beasley finishes the quilt. 

Kaye

5 comments:

Q said...

I have not cut any of mine out of anything but scraps so far, but I am tempted to steal from my stash and may well do so. As I have not been sewing for very long though, I don't have a very large amount of scraps and am already at a point where I have most of what I can make from the scraps that I have. Because of the time to, the variation in styles and colours is not so big, because I have a very definite preference (mostly) when it comes to buying (unless it's unbelievably cheap of course!) I'm sure yours will look just as lovely as all of the others!

Unknown said...

I think its a great idea using scraps of fabrics there always seem to be loads left over from other projects and if your like me i can never bring myself to throw it away. Being thrifty is great ;-)) dee x

rosie said...

This is the first time I haven't used scraps and it feels really decadent to be cutting into good material!! I love scraps, and I also do my best problem solving at night!

Kathy said...

I like this project because it isn't a finish tomorrow one but like you say a long as you like one. Can't believe how much I am enjoying making them and also love looking at everyones posts to see their flowers.

Anonymous said...

I'm planning on doing a very scrappy quilt too. I have so many little bits that I'm probably never going to use in a quilt unless it's hexies too. Mine won't be so matchy matchy... but it will have lots of beautiful favourite fabrics in it that I have used over the last few years. Yours are looking great!

Hexagon Button. Grab our button: