Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Hexi Quilt so far.......

I had been thinking about making a Hexi quilt. Two ladies from my sewing group Roxanne and Lorraine have made some lovely hexie's and have inspired me to give it a go. So while I was in Armidale last school holidays I called into the local patchwork store as they had some nice 1 inch hexie flowers in the window. I purchased a couple of packs and was still not sure what I would make with them. When I got home I was googling and found the Vignette Hexi Quilt blog. I already had Leanne's first magazine and had liked the antique hexi quilt that was featured in an article.
So I purchased a Jelly Roll of Nancy Halvorsen Garden Song from Marally Craft, one of the local Orange stores. I also purchased a further Jelly Roll of Nancy Halvorsen's newest range Forever Spring from The Cobar Quilt Shop. My special friend Suzie works there and stayed back one night after work to cut the 42 x 2 and 1/2 inch strips that would make up the jelly roll.......I am eternally grateful to her *Hugs*

I also found these great little suit cases at the local Hobby Sew Store. They are just adorable and I had to have them to transport my Hexie's to Basketball and Netball courts all over the countryside..... I can't see the point in wasting precious stitching time between games....*Grin*

They look right at home in there don't you think.

I spent Mothers Day at the basketball stadium in Bathurst so my Hexies came along too. Here is a pic of Jacky Mister in action dribbling the ball. He is the Captain of the Orange U16's Men's Side. I was even giving some of the kids lessons on how to make Hexies.....Who knew!

I am using a white self patterned fabric for my centre stitchery blocks and outer border. I am waiting very impatiently for volume 3 of vignette to arrive so I can see the finished product. I started cutting the Hexies while Bart and I watched attended the Royal Wedding.... I joked to him that I hope I get it finished before William becomes King......... I might nick name it my Queen Kate Quilt..... As it will be fit for a queen when it is complete......ha ha.

The colour combinations work really well together. It will be nice to see some of the stitchery blocks done......Waiting, waiting, waiting on issue 3!

Until next time, Happy Stitching

Kate

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your hexies look great. Seems great minds think alike. I purchased those same boxes last Saturday. :) Happy Stitching,

Anonymous said...

Your boxes are lovely. But I really love the fabric ranges that you have chosen for your hexagons. They all look wonderful together.

Laura VanVleet said...

Your hexie flowers are looking gorgeous!!! Great job!

Quilt Kitty said...

Great post Kate. Nacy fabrics are just gorgeous & your quilt will be lovely. I will have to look up that new range. The boxes are cute. That's what I use to carry my hexies around too. Tracee xx

Hexagon Button. Grab our button: