My first impression of this project was "another work in progress". But then, I caught the virus called "Hexagonitis". There is no cure except a finished quilt. Oh, the agony of have such a wicked, wicked disease. Family and friends don't understand. They just roll their eyes at you and hope that it will quickly run its course. Or, perhaps your husband has decided to nickname them Pixies just so that you will talk to him when you inform him for the thousandth time that they are "Hexies". He just lovingly smiles and is grateful that it is summer vacation and that I have time to play with fabric and still have time to make him dinner.
Side effect have been described as 'mis-shaped fingernail' and 'indistinguishable fingerprints' on the hand where the needle rubs. When you are not sewing these little beauties together, the marks are still there beckoning you to come back to them.
Thanks to my Cricut cutter at least I didn't get the 'side-effect' of 'scissor marks' from cutting out all those paper hexies. I was able to cut the freezer paper hexies with this little guys help.
Then I cut my fabric in 2 inch strips and placed the hexies for ironing. I was able to get 18 on a strip, so I ended up with 3 flowers of each fabric.
After ironing them on and cutting them apart, all that was left was two little snips. Now they were ready to be basted. I opted to hand baste, I wanted make the whole thing by hand. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.
So....What do pill bottles and Hershey's syrup cans have to do with a beautiful quilt? Organization that's what! You have to have some place to store all those bits of wonderful fabric that have been lovingly cut into beloved six-sided shapes--Hexagons. The pill bottles hold my basted 1.5 inch hexies and the syrup cans hold the ones that are waiting to be basted. It is easy to pop a can or bottle into my purse for sewing anywhere.
I love seeing them sewn together into flowers. It is like waiting for the seeds to germinate in the soil and finally they are ready to bloom. As of last night, I have 88 flowers complete, with one embroidered connecting hexie.
This has been a great project to start. I do not have the magazine so I am not up on whatever the third issue was about but I am gleaning a lot of information from others who have posted here. Thank you so much. I am inspired by each of you.